We all have the days where we plan to work out and know that we should, but when it's time to lace up your shoes and go…You. Just. Don't. Wanna.
I have those days, too, but when I remind myself how GOOD exercise makes me feel, and how it will help me reach my goals, I generally suck it up and do it anyway. Getting started really is the hardest part. Once you get going, you're generally glad you did. And when it's over, you feel even better.
But some people have less willpower or dedication. Some give in to the temptation to skip exercise too easily. While that's fine once in a while, it can become a hard habit to break if you skip out on your workouts too often.
So recently, I polled members of SparkPeople.com, America's No. 1 fitness and healthy living community, asking what THEY do to motivate themselves when they don't feel like exercising. Let me tell you: These people are a creative bunch. The next time you feel less-than-enthusiastic about your upcoming exercise session, take their advice. Here are 40 things you can do (or think about) to get your workout motivation back—and get moving.
SparkPeople members answer: "When I don't feel like working out, I ___."
There are a lot of things in life that we should do but don't always feel like doing. For many, exercise is one of those things. But the only way to make it a habit is to do it—consistently. So next time you don't feel like it, make like these strong-willed SparkPeople members and do it—or something—anyway. Just get yourself moving, even if it's light and easy, and even if it's only for a few minutes. You'll be glad you did!
- Do it anyway. (This was the most popular answer!)
- Tell myself to go for 15 minutes. If I still feel bad or unmotivated, I can quit. I have yet to quit.
- Look on Pinterest for motivation! (Check out Pinterest's Fitness section and follow SparkPeople's Pinterest boards.)
- Ask a friend along to the workout it helps us both with accountability.
- Do a heavy house cleaning (vacuuming, moving furniture, scrubbing) so I have a reason to work out.
- Watch a Crossfit video on YouTube. It always inspires me. Then I get it done.
- Take a 10-minute brisk walk.
- Take the dog for a long walk.
- Force myself anyway and feel better for it.
- Go to a yoga class. It gets me moving, and I always have fun!
- I sit by myself for a few minutes and think about all the things I can't enjoy because of my poor health.
- Sometimes I find myself doing it just to get my fitness minutes for the month. Proof that SparkPeople works!
- Work out anyway…then bask in the awesomeness!
- Find something new to do! If you run then go for a swim or a bike ride. Maybe you are getting bored with the same routine.
- Complain about not feeling motivated, then go do it, since I don't like hearing myself complain.
- I drag myself to the gym anyway. Before I realize it, an hour is passed and I'm glad I went.
- Post about your lack of motivation on Facebook, and get chewed out.
- Do it anyway because this is for me.
- Try to force myself to just do something for 1 minute (jumping jacks, squats, etc.). But usually I tell myself I will be happier that I did it instead of mad at myself for not doing anything.
- Put on my work out clothes, lace up my shoes and go for a walk. Once I'm out and moving I find my motivation.
- Do a SparkPeople workout video! They are always great workouts and I love that they are not super hard and complicated!
- Remember a time when I couldn't work out, and how sad I was when I was heavier, and how I don't want to feel sad again!
- Listen to some music—something with energy that I like. It's funny how the right music can make you move even when you think you don't want to, and it usually provides a mood boost, too (which is probably why I didn't want to workout in the first place).
- Put my feelings aside and use logic and reasoning. My feelings then change after a good workout.
- Follow an "easy" DVD and tell myself I'll do just one part of it. I end up doing it all usually.
- Put on my workout clothes!
- Do a workout at home instead of going to the gym.
- Remind myself why I started working out and how much better I feel and feel about myself when I am done!
- Do it anyway, just not as long.
- Remember how easy it is to loss fitness even after missing a few sessions.
- Put on my workout clothes first thing in the morning. Once I'm in them there's no reason to not work out!
- Remind myself of one of Gods promises in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Think how good I feel after a workout! Nothing else gives me that same feeling!
- Go bowling.
- I go get my small weights and start toning up.
- Do something light and slow, like yoga.
- Start working out anyway, and then, I figure I've already started, so I may as well finish STRONG!
- Put on dance music and move!
- Call a friend to encourage me.
- Think of all the people who can't and I go do it and am grateful that I CAN.
How do YOU get motivated to exercise when you don't feel like it? Do you skip your workouts or "just do it" when you'd rather not? Tell us in the comments below!
You will earn 5 SparkPoints