The new year is a common time to start a new health routine; there’s something about starting fresh at the beginning of a year. But it can be challenging to keep yourself motivated to stick to your routine. That’s why Vionic Shoes has partnered with integrative medicine practitioner Dr. Jim Nicolai and fitness expert Juliet Kaska to bring you ZenFitness30, a 30-minute workout designed to energize your mind, body and spirit. This invigorating program is a great way to begin your day, and can serve as a complement to your existing routine. The best part? You can do this routine anywhere; all you need is a yoga mat and a towel.
Juliet begins the program with active stretches designed to lengthen you like a dancer, develop your core like a Pilates Pro, get your heart pumping like an athlete and calm you like a Yogi. Juliet’s portion of ZenFitness30 will leave you both energized and grounded, seamlessly guiding you into a breathwalk exercise by Dr. Jim Nicolai. Dr. Nicolai draws from an ancient Kundalini yoga technique in his breathwalking practice, emphasizing movement as a vehicle for meditation. Mastering control of your breathing can help to quiet the mind and limit distraction, while remaining mobile deepens the connection to the body.
Give the first exercise a try!
The routine begins with an invigorating sequence synchronized not to music, but to your own heartbeat. As your heart rate begins to rise you will find yourself activating your core muscles more deeply, grounding yourself and finding a physical source of power. Each exercise is done in sync with a deep four counts in and four counts out of Ujjayi breath.
• Lie on your back with your feet flat on the ground just outside of your mat.
• Place arms out to your side in "cactus arms" (90 degrees at the elbows) with the palms facing up. Keep a constant and active stretch in your chest and shoulders by drawing your ribs down with your abs, your belly button pulled to your spine and your shoulder blades firmly pressed into the ground, as you work the back of your wrists and hands firmly into the ground. Maintain this posture.
• Tuck your pelvis so that the small of your back is firmly pressed into the ground, activating your lower abs and stretching your lower back. Maintain this posture.
• Take a four-count inhale to lower both legs to the right. Engage the abs deeper as you take a four-count exhale to bring the legs back to center. Repeat on the other side. Repeat four to six times per side.
• Take a four-count inhale to lower both legs
TRAINER TIP: Press the opposite arm more heavily into the ground for leverage.
Ready to try the whole routine? Download the free e-book here.
About Vionic Footwear
Vionic footwear merges unparalleled biomechanical technology with versatile, modern design fit for every occasion. Developed by Phillip Vasyli, renowned Australian podiatrist and founder of Orthaheel® Technology, Vionic shoes help restore natural foot function and relieve heel pain, promoting a more active lifestyle. Vionic’s footwear and orthotic inserts are also endorsed by noted integrative medicine expert, Dr. Andrew Weil. With premium materials, artful construction and streamlined silhouettes, Vionic’s men’s and women’s collections provide standout style with exceptional comfort and functionality. For additional information about Vionic with Orthaheel Technology, please visit VionicShoes.com.
More From SparkPeople