Sybil’s Version of Rosie’s Grilled Chicken Salad
I am posting this recipe for everyone but especially for my Cooking for One Team members who asked about it. Enjoy!
This is an easy, low cal, fast, filling meal and so delicious! I adapted the recipe from one of Rosie Daley's I got out of one of her cookbooks. I can have this cooked and on the table in 30 minutes plus the short marinating time. I put the marinade together the night before and before I do anything else I put chicken in bag and back in fridge when I first get home. I start preparing other things and 20 to 30 min. later I pull chicken out and grill it and have supper. It makes four serving which I can freeze for later use. My teen loves this!
STARS My family gives it * * * * * Stars
Calories per serving = 176
Fat per serving = 3.2 grams
5 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
4 (8) ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 large red onion, trimmed and cut into 1/8 -inch rounds
Light vegetable oil cooking spray
1 lb. Mixed salad greens (6 cups)
1 tbs. * crumbled blue cheese (or your favorite cheese) *I prefer mild cheddar cheese
1 medium tomato, cored and cut into wedges
For the Dressing:
4 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, peeled (prepare garlic the way you like it) minced,grated or sliced)
2 tsp. dried basil
Wisk, mix together and set aside or refridgerate for salad later or use bottled.
** Personal Note -- ** I didn’t like the balsamic dressing here so I used bottled. **I prefer bottle dressing such as diet Ranch or Zesty Italian or Paul Newman's Lite Balsamic.
For the Chicken
Marinate the chicken in the dried basil, black pepper, lemon juice, soy sauce, and garlic mixture for up to 2 hours; the longer it marinates, the more flavorful and tender the chicken. For variety, you may substitute an equal amount of lime or grapefruit juice for the lemon juice in the marinade.
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper,and basil in a large glass, plastic bowl, or zip lock bag and set aside. Zip lock bag equals easy clean up.
2. Place the chicken on a sheet of plastic wrap spread on a work surface and cover it with a second sheet. Pound gently with a mallet, rolling pin or side of can. Lift and flip pieces of chicken over and recover or flip the whole thing. Evenly pound the second side to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
3. Transfer the chicken to the marinade bowl and cover with plastic wrap or place in zip lock bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better but not over two hours. *The acid in the juice starts cooking the food immediately, so watch it in the fridge so it doesn't cook to fast.
4. After marinating for the desired time, preheat the grill, broiler, stove top griller or cast iron frying pan on stove top.
5. Place onion rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet and spray lightly with vegetable oil; turn them over an spray to coat other side.
** NOTE: You can use the uncooked onion rings raw on the salad and just skip cooking onion rings, which is what I do most of the time, this saves time and clean up.
6. Remove the chicken from marinade and place along side the onion rings, if cooking together in oven.
7. Grill, broil or cook the onion rounds and the chicken for 5 minutes per side or until done. Oven temps vary use your best judgement on yours. I suggest 350* to 400* and watch carefully since oven vary.
8. Let the chicken cool a bit, then slice thinly on diagonal.
9. Spread even amount of the mixed salad greens on 4 plates, scatter the onion rounds and then the sliced chicken on top.
10. Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon of desired cheese over each.
11. Garnish with tomato wedges, cucumber, and or any other vegetable you desire.
12. You can be as creative with the any step as you want to be by varying the ingredients of cheeses, protein, veggies and I add boiled eggs. Delish!!! Also, instead of chicken you could use firm tofu, turkey, or shrimp (don't marinate shrimp for long, (maybe 15 to 30 min.) shrimp cook real fast in acid juices like lemon.