The rules of the taper diet...
Friday, September 26, 2008
My taper starts at the end of my 20 miler on Sunday. I can't wait to taper - I have been working so hard. But, with taper comes less running, and with less running, a need for less eating (what? Less eating?)
When I tapered for the flying pig, I lost 3 pounds to get down to a good race weight (one pound a week during that three week taper). That is my goal again this time - one pound a week, to race at 149 pounds.
Here are some of my "new" rules. OK, they might be old rules for some, but new ones for me.
1. If it is in a jar and meant to be spread with a knife, it is not meant for a spoon - that goes for you, peanut butter! My rule: I will not eat peanut butter on a spoon.
2. If it likes to be popped in hot oil and drenched in butter and salt, it is meant for the movie theatre, not my mouth - that goes for you popcorn! The rule: I will not eat my favorite food ever for THREE weeks.
3. If it can give me a buzz, it is meant for a party not to quench my thirst or make me sleepy - that goes for you alcohol! I will save up my urge to consume the occasional adult beverage for the Reggae Run after party on Saturday and after my marathon!
4. Hummus, you will have to break up with the cracker and start dating the veggie! You will like her, she is very crunchy and delicious and full of fiber.
5. As for you, my dearie ice cream; I will save my consumption of you for special occasions; and the end of the day is not considered a special occasion to me.
6. Finally, my friends office candy: I just can't spend any more quality time with you. Your other office buddies will have to make up for my absence!
As I think of more rules, I will probably add them to this fine list. I am looking for a good race, and I know that I will have to clean up my eating after the run, because I will be reducing my mileage for 5 and 10K's for a while, and too much food will make too much Molly!