#149: Holiday Workers
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
While many of us do not have to work on Thanksgiving, a large number of people do. To them I want to express my gratitude for their duty.
* Members of our military -- often serving in faraway places, protecting our country.
* Members of law enforcement -- a number of whom are my former co-workers who work around the clock protecting us.
* Firefighters, Paramedics, EMTs, Ambulance Drivers -- such as my brother and nephew firefighters who spend the day away from their family protecting our lives and property.
* Hospital personnel -- who treat our injuries and illnesses day and night.
* Airline staffs -- who safely transport us to visit friends and family and who spend the night apart from their own friends and relatives as friends do and I often did during my years flying for an airline company.
* Restaurant and grocery store and gas station employees -- who serve our last minute needs.
* Television and radio staffs -- to keep us entertained and informed.
* Volunteers and staff at homeless shelters and churches whose doors are open to those less fortunate.
* All of the other people who willingly give up their holiday to serve us.
To you I say "Thank you for your service and your dedication. May you have a pleasant and safe day, wherever you are."