#217: Have You Resolved to Succeed?
Monday, February 01, 2010
"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln
How strong is YOUR resolution to succeed at weight loss and gaining a healthier lifestyle?
Are you fired up to attain your goals or do you fall on the wishy-washy side of things and hope that perhaps, somehow, you'll reach your goals like Lucky Eddie?
There was a comic strip of Hagar the Horrible, a teddy bear of a viking and his wimpy sidekick, Lucky Eddie. They were at a bar when Hagar asked Eddie if he wanted another drink. Eddie, in his fashion, replied weakly, "Maybe."
Hagar slammed a hand on the bar and told Eddie, "Be definite! Do you want another drink?" To which Eddie slammed his own hand on the bar and declared in a strong voice, "Maybe!"
Funny, yes, but it does illustrate that we need to be committed to what we do.
"Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve." Benjamin Franklin
Sometimes, admittedly, exercising and making healthy eating choices seems a tough row to hoe. But, if we resolve to perform, don't we owe it to ourselves to follow-through on our self-promise?
Let's resolve today to do several things as we journey to fitness:
1. Let's resolve to try to become a healthier person.
2. Let's resolve to give our program our best effort.
3. Let's resolve that when our journey gets tough that we will persevere.
4. Let's resolve to enjoy the journey and the results the journey brings.
5. Let's resolve to keep a positive "will do/can do" attitude.
6. Let's resolve to do as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe suggests, "Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must."
7. Let's resolve to believe, truly believe, that we will be successful.
8. Let us resolve that when we succeed, we will help someone else to succeed.