No Resolutions, Just Goals
Saturday, January 01, 2011
For years I used to list a set of goals for myself that I wished to accomplish for the year. I never called them "resolutions" because I think that word carries some sort of evil curse or something. When you call it a "resolution" it never gets accomplished. When its a "goal" you have a better chance. At least in my experience. I usually have a pretty decent success rate, too! At least 95% by the year's end most years. I even print them out on stationary and post them somewhere I can see them on a daily basis. So, this is the next set of goals I have for myself for 2011:
1. Actively engage in a healthier lifestyle! Exercise more, eat less, eat healthier, get more sleep, and keep learning (to exercise my brain). I won't always succeed on a day to day basis, but as long as I keep working at it, I know I'll reach my goals.
2. Get another/better job. I know this one isn't necessarily in my control, but I believe with persistence, dedication, and hard work, that I can reasonably accomplish this sometime in the next 365 days… right?
3. When I finally have that job, start paying off my credit card. I'm able to make just above the minimum payments most of the time. I'd love it if I could start paying off bigger chunks and bringing my balance way, way down. It'll take a few years to get it down to nothing, but paying off at least $300 this year would be great!
4. Save some money. I'm not talking anything huge, but putting away $10 or $20 a month is better than putting away nothing.
5. Secure health insurance. Well, that's just self-explanatory. And also something that isn’t necessarily in my control.
6. Do some volunteer work. I’ve been wanting to do something for quite a while. I need to find a way to be able to do so.
7. Move to a townhouse, house, or condo with a little bit of a yard that also allows pets. I can't live in my apartment in University City anymore. The neighbors above me cause me untold amounts of stress. Also, this area is pretty pricey. Aiming for a move this summer. The money I save can be spent on a cat, which I desperately want. I also want a little bit more yard space to grow some herbs, fruit, and/or veggies.
8. Learn to knit/crochet. I know I've set this goal for myself before and didn't get it done, but I've been inspired recently, so I'm planning on getting back to this. Maybe I can find a class or a club to join.
9. Sew more. I got a new sewing machine a few months ago and I would love to work on more projects! I'd like to go to Comic-Con this year, hopefully, so a costume project would be awesome!
10. Read for pleasure more. I got a few books coming in April. I have a book to read now. I can start on Sherlock Holmes. I have magazine subscriptions, but I need to make sure I’m reading good books, too.
11. Scrapbook! I have many supplies and things to put in a scrapbook. I just need to sit down and actually do it! I have friends that scrapbook, too, so I could invite them over for a scrapbooking party and just be creative for a day.
I may add a few more goals to this list once I have time to sit down and think about them more. But, these are just fine for me for now. *** I think 11 is a good number to accomplish for the year. These are my final "official" goals!
Good luck to everyone else on their goals!