Challenge Blog: Podcasts and Plans!
Saturday, August 20, 2011
I listened to two podcasts that I actually enjoyed a lot. The first one was from Jillian Michaels. I really enjoy her motivational ideas.
There were a few key ideas I picked up from her:
Her best tip was to pick 3 key exercises for each muscle group and focus on those until you master them. I always throw myself in and try so many things- so I liked this approach. If I am working on lunges, I want to get to the point where my form is great and I can do a successful series before I add another exercise.
She also talked about dealing with children and weight issues. I have 2 children who are too heavy for their size- my 7 year old is entering the chubby stage...and my 13 year old son is just heavy! She said to shift the focus from the weight to the activity...so I have two children who need to be more active. I know I have been very negative with them- "juice has too many calories, try water ""you do not need fries, they are too fattening" Although my points are valid, I need to reframe the conversation so they do not have negative feelings associated with their bodies and their decision making. "Since we had a big lunch, let's be sure to get a walk today." She talked a lot about teaching by example- not talking so much...a problem I am working on!!!
Two quotes I liked from her-
~Showing pity doesn't do you any favors
~Why are you choosing failure when success is still enough?
The other podcast I listened to was short and sweet, and they had many at Learnoutloud.com.
The one I listened to was by Caroline Donnelly about Affirmations. I really need to try more affirming, positive self talk, so this was what I needed to hear!
Five qualities of good affirmations are:
1. Make them personal (I am...I have...I intend...I do....)
2.They should be present tense- affirm that this is happening now.
4. Precise- think about what I really want.
5. They should pulsate- really get my emotions going and make me feel empowered.
We learn by repetition, so she suggests to write them down and repeat them often throughout the day.
My plan for the rest of the INSPIRE challenge:
1. Try to eat 5-6 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones. My husband is willing to try this with me- so I think that will be the key to success!
2. MOVE IT! I am busy and overwhelmed...But I will move every chance I get- taking stairs, doing a quick 50 skips of the jumprope...whatever I an do. And, I my goal is three workouts at the gym once school starts again.
3. Affirmations- I will write several down and practice saying them aloud throughout the day. I will be my own biggest cheerleader!
4. LEARN! I am reading more about fitness and nutrition. I find it helps me stay motivated and gives me new ideas. I am also reading a lot about Hypothyroid and am trying to get more ideas how I can help my condition with the diet choices I make.
My motivation: I plan to take progress pictures and measurements every 4 weeks. I usually only change my ticker at the beginning of each month, but every 4 weeks I will do a progress blog and post a report- it helps me feel accountable!
My reward for a successful challenge...besides a smaller hiney....I want to be able to buy boots this Fall...and right now my calves are too large. I can't wait!