2011 Goals... How did I do?
Sunday, January 01, 2012
I posted a blog on January 1, 2011, with a list of 11 goals I wanted to accomplish this past year. I printed them out on a piece of fun stationary and taped it up by my bathroom mirror. Let's see how it went, shall we?
1. Actively engage in a healthier lifestyle! Exercise more, eat less, eat healthier, get more sleep, and keep learning (to exercise my brain). I won't always succeed on a day to day basis, but as long as I keep working at it, I know I'll reach my goals.
Hmmm... I'd say I did this pretty well. I worked as hard as I could and think I made great strides in my journey. I eat better, I eat more mindfully, and I'm still in school exercising that brain. I did a lot more exercise then I have in years passed. CHECK!
2. Get another/better job. I know this one isn't necessarily in my control, but I believe with persistence, dedication, and hard work, that I can reasonably accomplish this sometime in the next 365 days… right?
Well, persistence, dedication, and hard work are all fine and good, but alas... this goal did not get accomplished. :-( Every single week day and most weekends for a solid 6 months did not yield me a job. I got 4 interviews all year for jobs I applied to and never got. Sad, sad day. Let's hope 2012 brings me into some work. Preferably that I'll enjoy.
3. When I finally have that job, start paying off my credit card. I'm able to make just above the minimum payments most of the time. I'd love it if I could start paying off bigger chunks and bringing my balance way, way down. It'll take a few years to get it down to nothing, but paying off at least $300 this year would be great!
Despite not having a job, I did manage to work some things out and almost make this goal. For all I know, I did make my goal. I just haven't checked. And I'm not going to. Paying anything down at all was way more than I thought I'd be able to without a job. CHECK!
4. Save some money. I'm not talking anything huge, but putting away $10 or $20 a month is better than putting away nothing.
This I didn't do. :-( In fact, I did the opposite and closed out my savings account. I just don't have anything to keep in there. My savings dwindled to nothing and it would cost more in "maintenance fees" than I even had available! Boo!
5. Secure health insurance. Well, that's just self-explanatory. And also something that isn’t necessarily in my control.
Thanks to my parents, who worked some magic with their own strained finances, I have a state health insurance. Its for people with existing conditions, which is me to the max! So, whenever I want, I can get this gallbladder out! And not have to pay a ridiculous amount of money out of pocket. CHECK!
6. Do some volunteer work. I’ve been wanting to do something for quite a while. I need to find a way to be able to do so.
I almost did this. I even went to an orientation for a volunteer gig, but the location was not conducive to my transportation abilities. Someday, I'd still like to volunteer doing something.
7. Move to a townhouse, house, or condo with a little bit of a yard that also allows pets. I can't live in my apartment in University City anymore. The neighbors above me cause me untold amounts of stress. Also, this area is pretty pricey. Aiming for a move this summer. The money I save can be spent on a cat, which I desperately want. I also want a little bit more yard space to grow some herbs, fruit, and/or veggies.
At the last minute, I pulled this one off! I'm sitting in my room, in a house, surrounded by massive amounts of boxes and bags and STUFF that needs to get tossed, donated, put away, etc. I pay more than $200 less in rent per month here. I'm very pleased! CHECK!
8. Learn to knit/crochet. I know I've set this goal for myself before and didn't get it done, but I've been inspired recently, so I'm planning on getting back to this. Maybe I can find a class or a club to join.
I had a friend offer to teach me, but we just never connected. She lives pretty far from me, so its hard to schedule in some knit time. I have all the supplies necessary. I just need someone to teach me (this is something I've discovered I can't teach myself). I couldn't find a club or class to join, either. Stop being so underground, hobby!
9. Sew more. I got a new sewing machine a few months ago and I would love to work on more projects! I'd like to go to Comic-Con this year, hopefully, so a costume project would be awesome!
Well, I did sew more, although nothing was for myself. I hemmed countless pants (okay, 3 pair for some friends) and a big project for my friend's MIL. I sewed two GIANT table cloths (that barely fit in my apartment!) and about 22 cloth napkins. That was a difficult project due to space limitations and my lame pre-arthritic thumbs. I slathered more Ben Gay on my hands then I care to admit. But, my machine got lots of use! CHECK!
10. Read for pleasure more. I got a few books coming in April. I have a book to read now. I can start on Sherlock Holmes. I have magazine subscriptions, but I need to make sure I’m reading good books, too.
The sad event of Borders closing down led to me getting an insane amount of books for insane prices! I think I got 40-45 books for about $50. I was able to read a few books and just enjoy them. Stephen King has a new book relating to his Dark Tower series coming out next year, so I have that to look forward to, too! More reading!!! Bottom line, I read for pleasure more than I usually get the opportunity to, so this goal gets a: CHECK!
11. Scrapbook! I have many supplies and things to put in a scrapbook. I just need to sit down and actually do it! I have friends that scrapbook, too, so I could invite them over for a scrapbooking party and just be creative for a day.
Once again, I have not scrapbooked. I have added more to my "must put in scrapbook" pile, too. I don't have as many supplies as I thought for a good, nice scrapbook. I need to gather some things before I can actually do this. No check for this one...
Well, 55% success rate this year. Not bad, but not the greatest. If that were a grade, that would be an F. I'll be sitting down tomorrow and thinking of some new goals for 2012. :-) Look out for that blog!
To everyone, thank you for the goodies and comments and 'likes'. I'll get back to my regularly scheduled Sparking when I'm settled into the house. I hope your goals were reached and that you all have an amazing New Year!