Mushroom Bolognese - vegan
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
I made this last week and it was delicious. My husband was skeptical - he loves the real thing, but he felt the texture and flavor was rich enough:
Warning - this is a slow cooking sauce - perfect for a day you can just leave it going on low, or via a slow cooker - low and slow for 6 - 8 hours on the slow cooker, after step 5 - just put the ingredients from the frying pan into the slow cooker with everything else.
Mushroom Bolognese Sauce
1 small head of garlic - peeled and minced
1/2 lb. portobello mushrooms, minced
1 large carrot, minced
1 container pomi chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
about 2 oz. wine
1 TBS olive oil
1 pinch sugar
parsley, basil, oregano, salt and cayenne to taste
1. Mince garlic by hand.
2. In a food processor, mince mushrooms and carrots. Cut into chunks ahead of time.
3. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven at medium.
4. Cook the garlic for 30 seconds.
5. Add the mushrooms and carrots, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add everything else. When sauce is simmering, turn it to very low and cover.
7. Check every hour, stir and correct for seasoning.
8. Sauce is best cooked at least 6 hours - slow and low!
Serving Size: Makes 6, 1 cup servings
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JENSHAINES.