I’ve professed this here before: I have a love/hate relationship with exercise . . . I like to think I primarily hate it! I don’t like to sweat and I don’t like to exercise for the sake of exercise. And oh, how I dislike that word hate, so I’ll strive not to use it again here.
I have found several ways of working in quality fitness minutes to the point where I feel like I’m “cheating” a bit. To my fitness guru friends, you’ll concur with that thought . . . and that’s okay. I have found several solutions that I actually find enjoyable:
1) I love Tai Chi! I can plug in a healing tai chi DVD and do a 50-60 minute workout that benefits my core balance. I like to call the pose below my Nepali pose.
2) I love my digital camera and am an amateur camera sleuth with the Bayside (Baptist) In Focus camera shutterbug group. Last summer, two of my portrait shaped photos were published in poster frames in the entranceway. Here's a lighthouse at the Duluth entry and the upper deck of the SS Meteor tour ship at Barker's Island.
3) I love nature. There’s nothing like walking along Lake Superior – a lake so huge, it is shared by Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I like to think I’m but an echo away from my Canadian friends. Here’s the waterfront at Two Harbors with a Sri Lankan Family and walking the Duluth Lakefront:
4) I particularly love waterfalls, boat tours, and cruising (have taken four cruises).
My favorite form of fitness is walking in our many state parks with access to three state parks within a half an hour from me: waterfall therapy is one of my most incredible God times. Nothing like a little quality meditation to go hand in hand with a hike! Wintertime doesn’t stop me as I zip to our woodsy state parks to enjoy the icy waterfalls and a little more snow on the ground. You'll see that I enjoy being a mentor and tour guide to my alma mater's international students and their families.
Amnicon Falls Wisconsin State Park (15 minutes east). This is the park I frequent just about every week I’m in the northland: (that's my hubby in the second photo one day after the area had flood rains):
Pattison (Manitou Falls) Wisconsin State Park (15 minutes south):
Split Rock Light House Minnesota State Park (1.5 hrs north)
Gooseberry Falls Minnesota State Park (5 minutes from Split Rock)
Big Bay Wisconsin State Park (1.5 hrs to Bayfield and a ferry to Apostle Islands)
5) When the weather is not conducive to walking, I plug in a DVD to walk with Leslie Sansone or one of a couple Coach Nicole DVDs -- I love that Coach Nicole provided moderate workouts for those times when moderation is called for.
6) Whether in the northern or the southern states, I'm seldom more than a few blocks or a mile from a major supermarket, so I enjoy walking outdoors when it's more of a functional walk.
I've never tried a treadmill, but something tells me it would become a place to gather clothes more than anything (besides, I have no room for it without a major decluttering). I do enjoy marching in place as I watch the evening news or talk at length on a mobile phone.
What's your favorite workout?