SP Premium
40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 48,136

Back to Reality! :D

Friday, August 09, 2013

A lot has happened recently. My husband and I moved out to Western Nebraska from the East side about 19 years ago. For years we have talked about moving back to the East or even somewhere else. We've attended job interviews but there was always a reason not to take the leap (ie...the parent company of the job you just applied for has filed for bankruptcy but we hope that won't bother you too much)
In June my husband applied for a couple of jobs in eastern nebraska and heard back right away. He attended the interviews followed by some more interviews and the first company to contact him offered him a job and he accepted. Boom...he is now living in his parent's basement while I and the kids stay back and try to sell the house. I'm praying that it sells quickly. The kids would rather start the school year in their new school but that's not likely to happen at this late date.
Before all of this took place we had purchased airline tickets for the family to fly to Boston and go to a family reunion on Cape Cod. I have an aunt and uncle that have a house there. We rented a little cabin. The timing seemed somewhat inconvenient given everything else that was going on but you don't get these opportunities every day. We had a great time! I got to see cousins I hadn't seen since I was still in the single digits ages. It was like it hadn't really been that long since I had last seen them. You know you've got a good family when time doesn't really make a difference. The kids got to see the fly on an airplane and see the ocean for the first time. My sister and I got up early every morning to run along the beach (one of my very favorite things to do). It was one of the best vacations I have ever had. I didn't worry too much about what I was eating. Still monitoring my eating so that it was reasonable. With the running and all the walking we did I'm not too worried about it but I'm still going to buckle down and be a little stricter now that I am back to reality.
We live closer to the Denver airport but flew out of the Omaha, NE airport because we had to fly back on August second because a cousin of mine on the other side of the family was getting married. We went to his wedding where I got to spend time with more wonderful family catching up. It was a beautiful wedding and I am so happy for my cousin.
On Sunday my sister and I ran in a Pajama Dash. My sister ran to the goodwill and bought us a couple of cute nighties to wear over our running clothes. We were stylin' if I do say so myself. :).
The local fire department used to raise money for Muscular Distrophy by standing on the street corners with their boots. For some reason they can't do that anymore so they came up with the idea of this race.

It was fun. I had somehow managed to catch my sisters cold though (or maybe it's allergies. I have been unable to tell for sure) and I wasn't at my best or most energetic. Couple that with the fact that we were towards the front of the pack and the route wasn't clearly marked so we did a double loop when we didn't need to and wound up behind all the people that were previously behind us. The race wasn't timed but I was a smidge cranky about that. Mostly because I wasn't feeling very energetic I think.

I worked out of the Omaha office for my job on Monday and Tuesday then headed home really early Wed morning to finish out the work day from home.

My lawn was literally a foot long because it rained A LOT while we were gone. We have a big yard and a riding mower to take care of it. I've push mowed it when the riding mower has been down in the past but it takes hours and hours. With my husband living at the east end of the state it's now my job to make sure the lawn gets mowed. I have two able-bodied teenage boys but I decide that I need to figure out how to use the riding mower myself first. After about 20 minutes and one phone call to my husband I finally have it figured out. I'm watching very carefully as I mow to make sure that I don't hit any rocks or sprinkler heads. Anything that would hurt the mower deck since I don't know the first thing about repairing it. I do okay until i'm almost done with the back yard them BAM...I run over the dogs steel tie down cable that was hidden innocuously in the grass. It's wrapped around the laundry line (that's where we tied her out when a storm knocked down a portion of our fence) and now around my mower blades. The mower is now successfully tied out on the line...just in case it decides to try and make a break for it. :)
I try to cut through the cables to free it so I can untangle the mess...no go. I try to use my husands jack but can't actually figure out how the jack works....sigh...I hate to call my husband because I know this will stress him out. I finally give up and go to bed.

The next day I casually ask my husband how to remove the mower deck and then I have to explain why. He actually took it pretty well and explained how to do it...along with how to work the blasted jack.

I bought some wire cutters at walmart then went home and managed to cut through one of the cables. I then got the mower jacked up and could reach the cable to untangle it. SUCCESS!!! I can now finish mowing the lawn and then I have to go over it again and bag it because the grass was so long and wet that it was laying in large piles all over the yard.

I make a trip to the grass dump and come back to find that the area of the yard I was going to clean up grass from next is now being assaulted by the sprinkler system so now the grass is wet again. Sigh...at least it's a small part of the lawn. I run through the sprinklers to get on the mower and drive it out of range...turn off the sprinklers and clean the rest of the lawn. It looks much better now!

This weekend I get to do the back lot but I think the boys may have to help with that.

I also have to paint our really large fence with sealer.

This reality stuff is for the birds. It will be worth it in the end but not having my husband around is proving to be a lot of work

Thanks for reading my rambling....Here is a picture of my sister and I before the Pajama Dash!

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Wow! And yet, here you are! emoticon
    2556 days ago
    Wow a lot of work in store there for you with the husband in a different part of the state. It took eight months for my parents to sell their house last year in the South so keep your chin up. Do what you can to make the house look inviting and less cluttered for potential buyers to be able to envision themselves living in your space!
    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    2557 days ago
  • PJ2222
    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    2557 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.