SP Premium
40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 43,371

Week 2 of April... Uh, Yikes!

Saturday, April 12, 2014

I thought I'd just get this done since there isn't a lot to talk about.

I didn't get any fitness minutes in (unless you count all the mad dashes to the bathroom or to my "emergency bowl" I kept bedside) because eating 300-ish calories a day is not enough to fuel a walk to the kitchen, let alone a workout on the treadmill. I wasn't able to keep much down/in the first few days, so I stuck mostly with chicken broth and Pedialyte for my diet. No water- didn't want to dilute what little electrolytes I was taking in, since even the liquids were not settling in my body much.

Monday was a normal day for me, I had made plans with my lab partner to study during lab time Wednesday and come in for open lab Thursday. Monday afternoon I spent trying to get my religion reading done, which was very long and very boring. I gave up after a while to be honest. I dunno why textbooks have to suck the life out of every subject they cover. So, I started on my taxes. I wanted to get them done and sent off so I wouldn't have to worry about them the closer I got to my next A&P exam (this coming Wednesday.) It took me FOREVER, mostly because it was the first time I'd done my state taxes with that stupid California Use Tax portion on the form itself. That ish is so confusing! I'm still not 100% confident I did it correctly. Anyway, it took me so long, I forgot to eat dinner. Not that anyone cooked anything since that somehow seems to be solely my job now. I made myself a light and quick ham sandwich. A bummer, really, because I hate ham, but that's all we had. Now, I'm pretty meticulous about the food that's going in my body... I smell, touch, and visually inspect almost everything I use to cook or make meals. I guess those ServSafe courses and working in nursing homes will do that to you. Nothing about my sandwich seemed off in any way.

A few hours later, as I was just relaxing and getting ready for bed, my tummy became a little rumbley and nauseated in not a good way. But, that was it. I popped some Tums. I figured it was maybe indigestion or something since I had eaten so late- at almost 10pm. Woke up at 4:30am infinitely worse, and by 7:30am, BAM! Initially I thought it was food poisoning and I cursed the ham even more! By Day 2 of the fun, though, it became pretty apparent this was way worse than food poisoning. Then, friends came forward saying there is some sort of virus going around (like norovirus or rotavirus or something) which is super contagious and causing all sorts of folks to fall to the beast that is gastroenteritis. I say I became its latest victim.

Anyway, the next few days were filled with Pedialyte, Jell-o, chicken broth, and Lipton chicken noodle soup, which oddly my body seemed to do okay with at the end of the day. I was eating around 300 calories, but really, how much of that was my body absorbing? I tried showering on Tuesday and it was a terrible experience. I almost fainted. Had the vision darkening and closing in, dizziness, racing pulse, and complete absence of any energy. I wrapped myself in a towel, and still dripping wet ran to my room to lay back down. Just barely made it. Yesterday, Friday, I was able to get some mashed potatoes and cream of wheat into my system. The last of my symptoms appeared around early afternoon yesterday, so hopefully I'm on the mend.

I weighed myself today. It is Saturday after all. I went from 186 to 179 in one week. SEVEN POUNDS. Yikes! Part of me, of course, is a little happy to see that number. Ya know, the part of me that's struggling to lose weight and fit into jeans happily and wear a swimsuit this summer. But, the rational, intelligent part of me is like, "WHOLLY MALNUTRITION BATMAN!!!" Stomach flu is an awful, horribly unhealthy way to lose weight. Plus, I'm sure the majority of it is fluids! (Wholly dehydration Batman!)

Since I do not have a choice but to get back to the grind on Monday, this weekend will be spent rehabbing myself for the upcoming week. I have my trusty water bottle handy and filled. I'm pretty sick of the way-too-sweet Pedialyte, so I'm going to stick with water from now on. I'm going to get in my 8 cups today and tomorrow no matter what. I'm also going to eat more "real" foods, as much as I've enjoyed jello and pudding, to get some actual nutrients in my system. I've got some fruit purees mixed with kefir and some fruit/veggie purees to snack on. I'm still a little wary of dairy products (like straight up yogurt and cottage cheese) so I'll stay with the mashed potatoes made with chicken broth and maybe some more cream of wheat. I have a few sweet potatoes and some carrots I can quickly microwave, too. Unfortunately, I don't have a quick, easy source of lean protein that isn't dairy based. Things that are a little fattier, like nuts and peanut butter, still sound a little too heavy for me at this time. Maybe I'll get someone to run to the store for some of those pre-cooked chicken breast strips. I can probably stomach a strip or two at a time.

Anyhow, I have an exam on Wednesday and that pretty much marks the last major thing to get done before I finally have...


I seriousy can't wait.

Louie was trying to make me feel better.

Torturing myself.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    The same thing happened to me when I wasn't eating right after being laid off. I tried to eat as best I could, but wasn't eating enough. Like you, I ended up losing a good 5-7 pounds in one week. EEK !

    When I was doing the 1040EZ form, I could do my taxes in less than 30 minutes. Now, my taxes take at least a good 60-90 minutes to make sure I read every single question correctly. Taxes seemed to get much more complicated when they went online. I miss filing paper. sigh.

    Hope you're feeling better !
    2546 days ago
    Sorry to read about your illness, Jill, but it sounds like you are doing the best for yourself with it. I too, examine all my food with a fine toothed comb. You never know these days and it is better to be safe than sorry. Take care,
    2553 days ago
    My oldest daughter had this same virus. She sobbed for about 8 hours straight the first day. I dropped off food (put it on her porch, careful not to touch the handrail or anything, then called her from the yard) on day 2 and she was fully recovered by day 4.

    Good for you for thinking nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. That's the thing! Hang in there Jillybean :)
    2556 days ago
    I am so sorry that you have been so sick! I hope you are feeling better now as we head into this new week. Glad that you have spring break to look forward to!
    2558 days ago
    Man, that does sound like a rough week indeed! The virus that had been going around here was "working the other end" for most folks.....no matter what, being sick....sucks! Look at it this way.....least you are sick before spring break and not during ;) Love the kitty pic and wishful food thinking....hope you get there soon Jillybean!
    2559 days ago
    Oh, Louie is being what we call Kitty Nurse! They know! We even have the "Nurses Station"...Alice has an empty drawer near the bottom of our bed she goes in so she is ready if we need her!
    Sure hope you are truly on the mend...that kind of flu is so awful!
    Stay well!
    Love and Hugs, my Friend!
    2559 days ago
    Oh my goodness, that sounds so miserable!! I hope you are feeling back to 100% soon!!
    2559 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.