Cultivating a New Mindset
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
One of our Maize Mountaineering challenges for this week is to develop a mindset that will help us with the climb and keep us energized for the trek. Here are some of the things I'm doing to that end.
1. Interrupting my inner critic: You know...the voice that whispers "You'll never finish this," "Why bother?" and "You've always been like this." Shhh! I've got new and better things to listen to today.
2. Positive visualizations: Picturing myself being active, not being embarrassed in summer clothing, and keeping up without being tired or winded.
3. Using affirmations: What we think about becomes our reality, so I am thinking more positive thoughts about my potential for success.
4. Enjoying the journey: Life can change in a heartbeat. Today and this moment is all that we have, so I am expanding my capacity to drink it in. Deep breaths, really taking in my surroundings, connecting with those I encounter.
5. Asking for and accepting support: It's okay to open up a bit, to ask for things that will help me with this journey, and allow others to contribute. (Sure felt good when my DH volunteered to go to the produce store and came home with enough healthy fish for a few meals. I could get used to this!)
6. Choose movement: A few extra steps, a flight of stairs, a bit of stretching. It's the little things that are helping me change my view of the kind of person I am.