Before I take the time to show my love for the loves in my life, I will show some care for myself and make a healthy change! I have a week off from school coming up. I have no extra cash, so I will be staying home. This will be my opportunity to learn new recipes to help control Type 2 Diabetes. I’m looking at the website DLife.com. Their recipes are low carb, and I’m looking to eat my way through the last week of February, learning more about low-carb as I go! I can hardly wait! A low-carb diet is a diet that restricts carbohydrates, such as those found in sugary foods, pasta, and bread. It is high in protein, fat and healthy vegetables. There are many different types of low-carb diets, and studies show that they can cause weight loss and improve health. I’m using the low-carb diet to lower my A1C and blood sugar as I deal with Type 2 Diabetes. I am avoiding the following types of food:
1. Sugar: Soft drinks, fruit juices, agave, candy, ice cream and many other products that contain added sugar.
2. Refined grains: Wheat, rice, barley, and rye, as well as bread, cereal, and pasta.
Trans fats: Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
3. Diet and low-fat products: Many dairy products, cereals or crackers are fat-reduced but contain added sugar.
4. Highly processed foods: If it looks like it was made in a factory, don't eat it.
5. Starchy vegetables: It’s best to limit starchy vegetables in your diet if you’re following a very low-carb diet.
Serving healthy food is showing love to the ones I love most! Now is the time to do it! How do you show a healthy kind of love?
My first recipe will be the Zesty Zucchini Squash Medley.