Since we are working on strength training during the BSG March Challenge, please answer the following:
1) What is your favorite strength exercise and why?
2) Do you regularly do strength training?
3) If so, what does your strength training workout consist of?
Strength training is a key component of overall health and fitness for everyone. In addition, strength training can help you preserve and enhance your muscle mass at any age. My favorite strength exercise is squats. Doing squats is very challenging for me due to my lymphedema, but I always welcome the challenge knowing that I am strengthening my legs to help reduce the swelling in the process. I include strength training in my daily workout plan. However, I don't do the same exercises daily and the quantities may vary.
Here's what my strength training workout consist of:
1) 30 - 50 - 100 crunches
2) 30 - 50 squats
3) 30 wall pushups
4) 3 sets of 15 various dumbbell exercises
5) 60 second planks
Here's some benefits of including strength training in your daily exercise routine:
1) Developing strong bones - Increasing bone density and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
2) Manage your weight - Managing or losing weight by increasing your metabolism.
3) Enhance your quality of life - Contributing to better balance and help to reduce falls.
4) Manage chronic conditions - Reducing the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, such as arthritis, back pain, obesity, heart disease, depression and diabetes.
5) Sharpen your thinking skills - Improving thinking and learning skills for older adults.