Reflecting on mealtime mindfulness
Tuesday, August 11, 2020
This week's challenge is to take at least 20 minutes at meal times. I could really make some headway here...both my spouse and I.
"The 20 Minute Meal aka Mindful Eating helps us recognize the signs of satiety, and to feel more satisfied with each meal and to eat less.
To eat slowly
- take smaller bites/nibbles
- chew more slowly and thoroughly (i.e. set a minimum number of chews per bite (20 - 40 chews per bite)
- notice the taste, texture, smell, temperature of each bite
- savor each bite, really enjoy it
- put your fork down between bites
- take a drink of water between bites
- eat regularly scheduled meals to avoid being overly hungry
- eat in a calm environment with minimal distractions
- eat high-fiber foods that take more time to chew
- if you find yourself rushing, put your utensils down, take a minute to re-focus
- make time to have the 20-minute meal( at the 10-minute mark, you should be about halfway done)
Our leader wrote: "20 Minutes & The "Pause" - is all over the internet and I am going to credit it to Linda Spangle and her book 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan"