Well Into October
Sunday, October 11, 2020
The nicest thing my mama ever did for me was bring home a Real Live Baby in the middle of October. I mean it - the Real Thing. I was in love. I spent long stretches of time, for a 4 year old, at least, in the dim bedroom beside the bassinette singing lullabies. Before long, sister was a toddler with an agenda of her own and soon enough there was another baby in the bassinette. But October 16 always stood out as a special turning point in my life - a date made more special 15 years later when I took an 18 hour car trip with my DH - a first date that introduced me to a fascinating man who was going to take me on road trips for the rest of my life. We always celebrate that day - and frequently in a car, tooling down the highway or along some country back road. It's coming up this week and we've kicked around a number of ideas but not yet made a choice.
Mother Nature has been singularly kind to us for days and days - giving us blue skies and glorious temperatures, a breeze if you want to take a sail, golden sunshine if you want to hike through the woods or through the city - your choice. Just before things began to get dry around here the rain moved in - but with mild temperatures. The autumn forests are so rich with color you could eat them with a spoon.
Life is pretty good for this here gal.
Life has also gotten pretty social all of a sudden. Thursday I met up with a precious friend and hiked around F'burg for what turned out to be miles of delicious walking. Friday the president of a board I am on had an al fresco luncheon on her lawn to thank us for all serving on the board. Saturday the district level of another civic organization I belong to held it's annual fall meeting - live - in an enormous, gym-like room, where the acoustics were so bad I heard almost nothing. But, being together, sparsely seated at widely spread tables, was worth the long drive. As president of my local group I have been definitely learning as I go along - and being durn uncomfortable about it - relying solely on the kindness of women who are not strangers, Ha! - and who are probably so glad I am shouldering this role instead of them.
So what does being a clueless club president have to do with diet and health? Ahh - the connection is added stress and social eating. One tidbit of information I snatched out of the echoing din of yesterday's speeches was an unverified, but believable, claim that when men take on a role, they feel they need to be 60% prepared and expect to wing it - learn on the job - for the other 40%. Women, otoh, feel they need to be 100% prepared, and make no mistakes from the git-go. And friends, this woman felt more like 40% prepared when she took on the job of president. I found myself eating all the candy treats scattered about the tables yesterday as well as the cookie in my boxed lunch. And the chips.
And the dessert at the luncheon on Friday. And both a stuffed avocado AND a taco at lunch on Thursday. Social eating. Stress eating. The past week was not my best eating week.
Looking back I can see places where I could have made better choices - choices that would have made my body feel better. Happily - I don't feel guilty about my mistakes. Aware, but not guilty. I think that my next lunch-out-with-a-friend will center around a single interesting dish. If the restaurant offers too many temptations - I will go back another day and try one of the other food adventures. But … just one. Not two because I can't decide. Note to self: Bess - you can always come back!
Ditto the next function that has "treats" (which will be this Tuesday!!!) Pack it up. Take it home. Give it to someone on the way home. Being at a function does not mean I have to eat. I am there for the fellowship and for whatever purpose the function is being held. I like social eating to be more intimate than "function eating".
Well then - I would say that, though my actions were not the most praiseworthy this past week - my information gathering was pretty valuable. BTW - I won a drawing full of pumpkin spice scented stuff yesterday at that function. Oh my goodness. The pumpkin spice Keurig-style coffee is out on the back porch - the windows are closed and I still can smell it upstairs! I'll give THAT to the folks at the library - who have one of those coffee machines.
So - here's the chart - the middle number is last Sunday's stats.
Days at points limit: __1_ 2_2
Weeks within total points:__0_1_0
Days with adequate water:__6_ 5_6
Days walked:_6__6 plus 3 DVD workouts_5