SP Premium


Madie's update

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Madie's surgery went well! It was a tough morning. She couldn't eat after midnight. She woke up hungry at 4 AM and cried. I rocked her as I cried with her. I knew what was wrong with my baby, but I couldn't fix it. We left for the hospital around 6 AM and got there and all checked in. Grandpa was waiting for us! Madie was in a good mood, laughing and squirming. The nurses commented on what a happy baby she was (for not eating, being cold, and in a strange place she did wonderful!). I changed her into a little yellow gown with Ronald McDonald on it. The anesthesiologist (named Larry) came in and took her away at 7:35. I watched her leave, and my dad must have noticed that I was worried, because he put his arm around me and told me she'd be okay. I knew he was right, but I wanted to cry and go with her. I asked the nurse if she would please make sure she didn't get cold. She gets cold easy. My dad and I sat and talked about a few things, and before I knew it, our little pager was going off (telling us she was done and about to come out so we needed to be in our room if we had left). Then I heard her screaming. The nurse came in and asked for a diaper because they were going to give her a Tylenol suppository. She cried for about 10 minutes (but seemed like hours) and they finally brought her back to me. It took a while to calm her down. I don't think she felt very good. I tried to feed her, but she didn't want to have anything to do with that. So I rocked her to sleep. The nurse came in every 15 minutes to check her vitals. After the 4th or 5th time, my dad finally asked how many more times she had to check her. She said, "Until she wakes up and eats a little bit." I told her that wouldn't take much. I woke Madie up and attempted to feed her. Five minutes later we were able to leave. We went home, I fed her, and we both slept the day away (I didn't sleep any the night before). We woke up in the evening and she was in a good mood. Overall, she did great. I'm so glad my dad was there. It was great that he kept me company. And I really enjoyed the support he was able to give me and Madie. I know he loves us! Thanks everyone for your prayers, thoughts, and emails. I know they have helped us get through this.

Madison also had her 4 month check-up (on the 12th). She is now 24.5 inches and 12 lbs 10 oz, with a head circ of 38 cm (up 1.5 in and 5 oz and head circ up 3 cm since 1-29/two weeks). She is growing great/on track and is ahead developmentally. Her doctor will now have us do cereal 3 times a day and I can start veggies when I am ready (which I'm not yet. She's growing up fast enough). We will have her next physical in May at 7 months, and she will have her shots March 17 (Happy St. Patty's Day).
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Thanks for posting about how she's doing. Glad everything's ok, it must have been so hard to let them take her and then to hear her cry and not be able to help.
    4870 days ago
  • CDENNIS1979
    I'm glad to hear everything went okay. I've been wondering about how your baby was doing. That's great that your dad was there to help you through it. Everyone needs a little support during times like that.


    4870 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.