Advice For Newbies
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
This is dedicated to any weight loss newbies. :)
Here are my best pieces of advice for those who wish to lose weight.
1. Tell everybody (who's willing to listen) about your goals. This can this help you start gathering together a group of supporters. Support is invaluable in this process. Very few people have lost excess weight and maintained the loss without the help of some kind of support system.
2. There will be times in this journey when you are going to stumble big time. Just make peace with this fact right from the start. One important thing to remember is that you will not have failed until you decide to give up. Even if you gain back some weight, it doesn't have to be over. Its okay to falter. Just lean on your friends and get back up. Seriously. GET BACK UP! :)
3. Write things down. Write down what you eat, how much you ate, how much you drank, how much exercise you've done, etc. Write down goals and be specific as to how you are going to accomplish them. Don't just say "I will exercise". Plan it out. Jot it down somewhere. Writing it down somewhere makes it more real than if you just think to yourself "Maybe I'll take a walk today." Keep a record of this journey. You'll want to look back to see just how far you've come.
4. Learn about food and exercise. Absorb information about all the ins and outs of fitness and nutrition and you will take more of the guesswork out of weight loss.
5. Enjoy it! Find new ways to exercise. Discover new foods that are both healthy and delicious. Its much easier to lose weight when you are enjoying life at the same time.
6. Realize that true weight loss takes time. Some people want to lose 10 pounds. People like me need to lose over 100 pounds. No matter where you start from...it takes time. To keep the weight off, you cannot revert back to your old habits. Be prepared to make a lifestyle change if you want to maintain your ideal weight.
I hope this has helped someone out there. This is the kind of thing I would have wanted to read when I first started. :P