I have tried I.F. before and it did not give me good results. I stumbled across some videos that causght my attention on I.F. specifically geared toward women and I decided to give it another shot. There were a couple of things that I was doing wrong so I wanted to share this information with others who want to try intermittent fasting or have tried it but failed, also known as not losing weight. I have just started so not sure if it will work but if it dows I will update the blog. I wrote notes so I will put them below for reference just in case I lose them.
The person on Youtube that I watched the videos is Thomas DeLauer just for reference.
To start for beginners you could start with a 12 or 14 hour fast and then work up to a 16 to 18 hour fast and then to a 20 to 24 hour fast but not a good idea for a beginner to start with a 20 hour fast.
To begin a fast :
1. Don't eat a high carb meal, eat a higher protien/fat meal. This will give you the best results.
What to eat during a fast:
1. Black coffee/tea (no creamer or sweetner)
2. Water with some lemon or apple cider vinegar
3. Salt (you should add good salt like pink Himalayan salt to your water a few hours before you break your fast to help with the cortisol)
4. take cinnamon an hour or so before breaking to help reduce the insulin spike when you eat.
5. It is better after your cup of morning coffee to switch to green tea.
Breaking your fast
1. Break with lean protien
2. No gluten (on the day of your fast at all)
3. No added fat, dairy or veggies for the first hour after you break, just protein.
4. Do Not mix fat with carbs in the same meal.
60 to 90 minutes after breaking with protien
1. Eat fats with cruciferous veggies, this will help with estogen.
2. Get Vitamin D, very important for women and fat loss. ( eggs, fish,and shellfish) or supplement.
3. Get lots of Vitamin C if you can from food.
4. Zinc (Fish)
5. Iodine (seaweed or kale) We need this nutrient
6. Selenium (just a few brazile nuts and we have it)
To help with burning fat;
1. Start with Apple Cider Vinegar (10 ozs. water with 2 TB. Vinegar)
2. Drink Green Tea
3. More Protien (about 1 lb. for 1 gram protein (190 lbds. to 190 grams protien)
Omega 3 protien is the best, Omega 6 is inflammatory.
Women over 50
1. get extra protien
2. Vitamin D and C are very important for weight loss
3. Fasting 20 to 24 hours
4. Fast every other day, or 3 times a week
5. Try to work out right at the end of your fasting window if you can.
You may gain weight the first week or so until your body gets used to furning fat for fuel.
These are just my notes, please watch his videos if you want to know why these are his rules. He also has a 30 day IF challenge for women and he tells you exactly what to eat and he starts at 12 hour fast and increases it every week. I am already at 24 hours fasting level.
He usually breaks his fast with bone broth or Pea Protien, do not get whey it is anti inflammatory for us. Don't forget to add a little salt to your water to help control your cortisol.
I am going to try this and see what happens.